The training and follow up resources provide an inspirational project based around the Science topic ‘Plants’. It will motivate children in their learning, teach them about biodiversity and ecology, and will support teachers to stage an expressive art-based assembly.
An introduction to integrated connection to nature experiences, through RSPB’s Wild Challenge, will support teachers to empower children to have agency in bringing about change in their schools and local communities.
- Be introduced to the 4 songs of the Meadowsong cycle
- Learn about the ecology of wildflower habitats and the threats to this habitat
- Explore the core and foundation subject curriculum resources in groups and try out some of the activities
- Be helped to form an action plan to plant a wildflower area and receive guidance on planting for wildlife in their school
- Register for RSPB Wild Challenge and WWF Seek App and be shown how to use them to support learning
- Given guidance on staging a Meadowsong assembly to celebrate learning and enable young people to influence and empower others to bring about change to benefit the environment
What delegates will learn:
- To provide training in how to support year 3 classes to develop a deep sense of connection to nature in their school grounds and local outdoor areas through music, science and the arts.
- To provide cross curricular resourcing, inspired by the music, allowing for National Curriculum objectives to be delivered in a creative and exciting way. This programme provides National Curriculum coverage in English, Science and the Foundation subjects (PE, Art, Music, and Geography) for a six week block of teaching.
- To enable teachers to support their class to achieve RSPB Wild Challenge bronze award
- To provide instructions on how to plant a wildflower meadow.
- Become familiar with the songs
- Have made a plan for the planting of a wildflower area in their school and be signposted to where to find supporting resources and materials.
- Feel confident about engaging with and using Wild Challenge and the Seek App as integrated elements of the year 3 Plants topic.
- Have had the opportunity to explore our associated planning and resourcing for Core and Foundation subjects.
Planning and resources for a half term based around the Y3 Science ‘plants’ curriculum, integrating English, Geography, Art, Music and Dance alongside RSPB Wild Challenges and the WWF Seek Lyrics, piano scores and backing tracks for the Meadowsong songs
Note: Please bring a packed lunch
25th March 2020
9:00am - 4:00pm
Ness Botanic Gardens