The Environment Rating Scales are a set of tools for measuring and improving the quality of early years provision.
Working alongside a trained Early Years Specialist, the Environmental Rating Scales will provide you with a structure for recording, improving and evidencing different aspects of the learning environment you provide for children.
This will be achieved through a ‘plan, do, review’ approach to self-evaluation with the aim that your early years team feel fully involved in the process and that it is a positive experience, which leads to an improvement in quality.
The process will include:
- An information session held prior to the observation day for your EYFS team, which will give you an overview of the evaluation tool and your role in the process.
- A half day observation for each room/age group, which will be led by an early years specialist who is trained in using the scales followed by a detailed feedback session which will enable you to complete a quality improvement plan.
- A review visit (approximately 3-6 months) later, which will help you reflect upon the changes you have made and identify any further areas that need addressing.
The Environment Rating Scales:
- Are internationally recognised, evidence-based tools for improving the quality of the learning environment
- Are suitable for all types of early years settings and schools
- Were used in the EPPE research and have been shown in many studies to relate to child outcomes
- Support self-evaluation and reflection for practitioners and for leaders/managers
- Provide a measurable ‘profile’ of quality and concrete steps for improvement
- Can be used to track progress over time and to provide evidence for Ofsted
- Are used by local authorities and practitioners across England and worldwide
- Are recognised by Ofsted
- Align closely with the EYFS
Which scale is right for your early years provision?
- Infant Toddler Environment Rating Scale (ITERS-R)– evaluation tool suitable for children from birth to 30 months
- Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale Third Edition (ECERS-3)– evaluation tool suitable for children aged from 3 to 5 years
- Extension to the ECERS-R (ECERS-E)– evaluation tool for specific areas of learning (literacy, maths, science and diversity) an how this supports the development for children aged 3 to 5 years
- Sustained Shared Thinking and Emotional Well-being (SSTEW) evaluation tool for children aged 2-5 years with a focus on teaching and learning.
Date to be arranged with trainer. (Available Mondays and Tuesdays only. Trainer will contact you once you have purchased this product).
People who have purchased this training have said:
“Jo’s feedback has had an extremely positive impact and this will continue. It has allowed us to identify clear areas for development . Jo was extremely helpful and provided the outside validation that we needed. I will not hesitate to contact her for further support. I’m looking forward to working with her again” – Headteacher, Primary School